History of R D Owen & Co
The firm was founded in 1871 by Mr David Owen before the formation of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales. The firm was known as David Owen & Co with an office in Devizes.
Devizes Market Place in 1871
David then joined the Institute and was immediately made a fellow in 1891. He later opened offices in Bath, Warminster, Malborough and London.
18a Queen Square in 1931
David’s son Ralph D Owen joined the firm and he became a member of the Institute on 6 February 1907. Ralph eventually succeeded his father around 1931 as senior partner and the firm became known as Ralph D Owen & Co with offices in Warminster and at 18a Queen Square in Bath.
On Ralph’s death in the late 1950’s the firm became known as R D Owen & Co was continued by Leslie Fudge and Christopher Sullivan with the same two offices. The practice became specialists in taxation and became involved with the tax affairs of some household names as well as looking after local professions and traders.
On 1 April 2008 the practice merged with Pethericks & Gillard Limited of Midsomer Norton. The directors of Pethericks & Gillard Limited have rightly decided to retain the long established trading name and continue to maintain the two offices. Both Ian and Robin are also members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales thereby proudly following in the footsteps of the founder.